Most of the time parenting can be great fun. You know you are doing a good job. But there are times when things can get a bit tricky; your toddler won’t eat their dinner, your six year old won’t pick up their toys or your teenager is being disrespectful. If only someone could give you some ideas to make these times easier!
Well there is something to help. Parenting workshops and groups provide easy to implement, proven parenting solutions that can help and prevent future problems before they arise. It is about looking at what you are already doing well and building on that to make it even better. In Shropshire you can attend a Parenting Group or a Parenting Workshop to support you in your role as a parent.
Parenting groups are run over 6 – 10 weeks and encourage parents and carers to identify the most important issues in their relationship with their child and to reflect on why things sometimes go well and sometimes do not. It is then easier for the parent to identify how to work together with their child. Although the parenting group is not intended to be a therapy group, there is time over the group for parents and carers to explore some of the emotional pressures they are under, some of which may relate to their child and some to the way they were parented themselves.
The parenting group aims to:
- Promote understanding of children’s behaviour within the context of developmental issues
- Promote the development of parent/child relationship
- Increase confidence and self-esteem in both parents and children
- Give parents a strategy for repair when things go wrong
- Promote reflective, sensitive and effective parenting.
At a parenting workshop, you will discover and talk over new ways to build the relationship between you and your child, ways to achieve good behaviour and strategies to help when faced with difficult situations. The workshops follow the principles of positive parenting.
The five key principles of positive parenting
- Ensuring a safe, interesting environment where children can explore, experiment and develop their skills
- Creating a positive learning environment by being available when children need help, care or attention
- Using assertive discipline by being consistent and acting quickly when children misbehave
- Having realistic expectations for children, and for yourself as a parent
- Taking care of yourself as a parent, and ensuring that your personal needs are met
Groups are aimed at parents of children and young people aged 0 – 18 years and are free to attend. Groups are delivered by professionals across Shropshire actively working with and supporting families.
To find out about parenting groups and workshops in your area, please contact Shropshire Family Information Service for further information on 01743 254400 or email ShropshireFIS@Shropshire.gov.uk