As it’s International Nurses Day and we wanted to celebrate by sharing with you information about the role and work of School Nurses in Shropshire. Every school has a school nurse and they work with children and young people to help keep them healthy, so they can reach their full potential and make informed healthy lifestyle choices.
This information is has kindly been prepared by the School Nursing Team in Shropshire
Who are we?
School nurses support health and wellbeing programmes for all children and young people aged 5-19 in schools and the wider community having smoothly taken over from health visitors, who provide services from pregnancy to the first five years of life. Children and young people have told school nurses that they want a confidential, accessible and visible service.
School nurses are qualified nurses with various additional qualifications. School nurses have a specialist public health qualification and/or extensive experience of working with children, young people and their families.
What do we do?
Our aim is to help keep children and young people healthy throughout their school years in order for them to reach their full potential and make informed healthy lifestyle choices.
School nurses provide confidential advice, care and support to children, young people, parents and carers through a range of key services including:
• Anaphylaxis and asthma training for schools, children, young people and their families
• Crucial Crew and Safety Scene health promotion
• Day and night time wetting (enuresis) clinics across Shropshire
• Health education and promotion
• HPV vaccinations
• National Childhood Measurement Programme for reception and year 6 children
• Safeguarding and support for children in need
• Secondary school drop-in sessions – CHAT (Confidential Health & Advice for Teens)
• Support with individual health needs and long-term health conditions
No problem or issue is too big or too small; we can put you in touch with a range of agencies that can help.
How can you contact your school nurse?
Each school will have the relevant contact details for their named school nurse; alternatively you can find contact numbers on the Shropshire Community Health NHS Trust website: www.shropscommunityhealth.nhs.uk/rte.asp?id=10072
Thank you to Shropshire’s School Nurses